- Active honey has much greater antibacterial properties compared to normal honey. We have Australian Manuka honey available in a variety of MGO ratings.
- MGO (Methylglyoxal) Activity Rating
- One of the main components attributed to the unique activity in Manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MGO).
- MGO is an indicator of the strength of the activity in Manuka honey.
- We have Australian Manuka honey available in a variety of MGO ratings. The activity strength (MGO Rating) on the label indicates the therapeutic benefit of the honey, the higher the rating the more beneficial the honey will be.
- MGO Comparison to NPA/UMF
- Honey that contains Non Peroxide Activity (NPA also known as UMF®) is found in New Zealand and Australia. MGO is measured in parts per million (ppm) and NPA is measured as a percentage of phenol equivalent.
- MGO refers to a chemical marker and indicator of the strength of NPA or UMF® activity in Manuka honey. To find the MGO equivalent to the UMF please refer to our interactive conversion graph, which will assist in you selection of Manuka honey.